Monday, February 22, 2010

Endter's Sports Grill (to-go version) -- Please read Black Trumpet Entry!

So, this week the blog is going to be unique. I am going to post TWO separate entries.  You all get a special treat because I got sick.

Unfortunately, I fell ill with a nasty cold/body ache thingy and was out of commission for the day/evening on Friday, leaving me unable to fulfill my blogging duties.  I was really disappointed, especially because it was the first Friday of lent and besides "Good Friday" -- it's typically the busiest Fish Fry night for restaurants and supper clubs. Fortunately, though, for all of you, there was a solution.

My friend Dionne Groth (yes, the story is true, I did send her flying out of a golf cart and she is definitely STILL in one piece despite her dramatization of what happened) and her husband Andy offered to blog about their dining experience on Friday.   As an added bonus, I had someone drop off a fish fry at my condo on Friday night, ensuring I'd indeed get my fish fry point of view into words.  I will keep mine pretty short and sweet as I think it's really unfair to judge "to-go" fish fries.  There was some high points and low points of this dinner, but overall I can't complain, because as I've stated in this blog numerous times before, I truly have the best friends anyone can ask for and that trumps any meal at anytime!

Endter's Sports Grill, 300 Cottonwood Avenue, Hartland, WI:  I had the basic fried cod with potato pancake, side of coleslaw and bread.  The breading was a typical beer batter on the cod, and while the fish itself was very flavorful, it took some work digging through all the breading.  I am a big fan of beer batter, but there is a fine line between perfection and disaster.  This cod was very close to being disastrous.  I figure once I picked most of the breading off, the portion size was almost half of what it looked like from the start.  However, like I stated before, it's a little bit more difficult to assess the situation when the meal is put in a styrofoam container with aluminum foil and transported, so I will definitely be back at Endter's to review from tableside.  

The potato pancake was average, but they forgot to put applesauce with my meal, so I used ketchup.  It was not a stand-alone cake by any means.  The coleslaw was irrelevant, and there is no excuse for something to taste that bad -- despite the fact it was in transport, coleslaw should travel better than it did.  There was not enough cream in this recipe and the slaw itself was a major bust. 

I'm not going to rate Endter's now -- because first of all, I was ill and second it was not the best of circumstances.  I just could not let a week go by without sharing my thoughts... I mean, it is MY blog!  

In the meantime, have a great week and thanks so much for reading my random thoughts each week.  I hope you're having as much fun reading as I am writing this damn thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment