Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Coyote Canyon, Eagle

What is Eagle?

It's the question I asked when someone suggested the location for our next fish fry. Remember, I'm not from the area, so when I moved to Hartland, I was very limited in my knowledge of Lake Country, which is why I started this blog.  I have become more acclimated to the parts of Lake Country, but have never traveled south of Dousman, however, I'll definitely be making the trip again.

Eagle is a quaint little town, which was hit hard by a devastating tornado this past Summer, that's really all I knew, and while we didn't get much time to talk to many people about the town itself, our visit to Coyote Canyon, 105 Main Street, Eagle, WI, was indicative of what a village like this is, it's family.  And I love that about small towns!

The typical fish fry foursome (Ann, myself, Dave & Mike) decided to take the trek to Eagle, we had not decided on our location, but as we found a parking spot, we realized we were closer to Coyote Canyon, the place seemed to have some open seating, so we walked in.  We were greeted warmly by a server who explained to us if we wanted to eat in the small dining room we'd have to wait, but if we chose to eat in the bar we could order right away. We opted for the second choice.

A second server immediately came to our table in the bar, handed us the menus and then took our drink order.  The fish fry was not on the menu, but they had the special advertised on a chalkboard as you walked in.  $8.85 for two pieces of cod, $9.95 for three, very reasonable and very convenient, because when I asked if I could have one piece of baked and one of fried, the waitress smiled politely and said "yes" -- I was thrilled, I could do a full review without posting up on one of my friends' plates.

The fish fry at the Canyon includes your choice of potato, soup or salad along with the normal friday staples (coleslaw, bread, etc.).  Ann and Mike ordered the clam chowder, and it was supreme. I had the cheesy tortilla soup, and it was equally as impressive, both were homemade (we asked).  After this teaser, I was anxiously anticipating my dinner, and I was not disappointed.

The fried cod was lightly covered in a delicious beer batter (my favorite) full of flavor, the slight crunch on the outside gave way to a soft, flaky, melt-in-your-mouth inside.  The baked fish was a strong competitor to it's fried brother, but I'll have to give the nod to the fried on this particular entree.  However, the baked was seasoned and prepared well and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a lighter option on Friday night.

Here's the best part, everything at the Canyon is homemade, so I was treated to a fresh batch of potato pancakes, the best applesauce I have ever tasted and a creamy coleslaw that stands up to any of the best restaurants I've visited thus far.  And, I even indulged in the tartar sauce, it was one of those scrumptious combinations of mayo, pickle relish and dill, and though I didn't use it for my fish (fish was too good, didn't need tartar) it was great for french fry dipping!

Unfortunately, the rye bread was an afterthought at Canyon (not homemade), but the other components were so beyond amazing, it's tough to care about that, but if you're a bread connoisseur, you would not be impressed.

Between great service, friendly patrons and fantastic food, I'm going to give the Canyon a 9 out of 10 on the visit.  If you're in the neighborhood, or even if you're not -- I suggest the drive out to Eagle, you won't be disappointed, actually you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I know I was.

Have a wonderful week and during this busy time, make sure you take a moment to stop and be thankful for the greatness of life.  And as always, don't forget to let those important to you know how important they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment