Monday, October 10, 2011

Finn's Bar & Grill, Wales

So, what a week to pick up the fish fry blog.

To know anything about me is to know that I'm a huge sports fan, you could probably say fanatic, but ultimately I grew up watching all kinds of sports, and while football is my favorite, I am also partial to baseball.  And what a treat it has been this season with the Brewers.

On Friday evening I started at the Kettle Moraine High School Homecoming parade, as is tradition with a lot of the adults, I made the trek to Finn's Bar and Grill to watch the last half of the Brewer game and indulge in a fish fry. The last time we ate there I gave it a 7 out of 10 and I wanted to see if things were any better.  I made a plea in that blog to not settle for mediocrity... the following is a excerpt from that blog.

I've encountered this at a few different restaurants and the latest was Finn's Bar & Grill, 220 West Summit Ave., Wales, WI.  I've had people ask me to go there, claiming it was one of the best in the area.  While Ann and I enjoyed ourselves, I would say the fried cod was average in taste, very well cooked and breaded to absolute perfection, but nothing to excite my taste buds.  My guess is it tasted much, much better after a clear coat of tartar.

Our potato pancakes were not homemade (admitted by our server), but they were the highlight of my meal. They had to have been some of the best "box" pancakes I've ever tasted and the coleslaw was also a nice compliment to our entree.  To top it all off, our server was pleasant and our meals were brought out in a timely fashion, all while the dining room was full of warm bodies.  Finns was out of baked cod when Ann and I arrived, so unfortunately, I can only comment on the fried cod. They also have a combo platter with various deep-fried fishy goodies (perch, cod, shrimp) to entice you. The prices are reasonable at Finns and regardless of my earlier rant, I do want to visit again.


I will give Finns a solid 7 out of 10.  Not bad, not great.


Well...after Nyjer Morgan hit that "tickler" up the middle, I managed to jump up and down, hug strangers and periodically check my pulse in the moments after, to be sure everything was ok, I also figured it was a good time to finally order dinner.  


Kendra and I each had the fried cod with the potato pancakes.  I will say this, the box cakes are still really good and I still can't believe they're from the freezer.  They were exactly the same as they were last year and I was happy about that.  The slaw and potato salad were also nice compliments to the meal.  This time, the fish was cooked well, but was breaded heavily and I had to take a lot of the breading off because it got to be overwhelming.  Our food was hot, our service was excellent and the crowd of Brewer-friendly faces made the average dinner a little bit better.  


The score stays the same folks.  7 out of 10.  I would recommend it to friends, but would be quick to direct them to another place if they're looking to be "wowed."


Well, folks.  I'm hoping to be blogging a little more frequently in the upcoming months.  I'm very much looking for any suggestions of new places in the Waukesha County/Lake Country area.  I hope you understand my long-term absences -- I'm a one-person operation, and sometimes I can't eat fish EVERY week.  I mean..can you?

Go Brewers! Go Packers and On Wisconsin!

Hug your loved ones people and maybe even hug someone you don't even know!

No comments:

Post a Comment