Saturday, February 18, 2012

Uncle Johnny's - Colgate, WI

It's been over a month since I've written a blog and I'm finding this more difficult by the week.  I have great intentions and sometimes life gets in the way.  I hope you enjoy the installments and are patient with the fact that life happens.

As we embark on another Lenten season, though, I'm hoping to get a few more in as all the good Catholics of this world need some options!

Last week I decided to join some friends at a Colgate, WI favorite, Uncle Johnny's 4600 County Road Q. For those of you not familiar it's just west of the roundabout at Hwys 164 and Q.  I'm not sure it's technically "Lake Country" but it's proximity to Lake 5 gives me reason to believe I'm ok with this destination choice.

Uncle Johnny's is your typical "local" watering hole and I'm sure they are much more accustomed to seeing familiar faces, but they treated us "strangers" very well and we quickly made friends with our waitress.  The place wasn't terribly busy, but it was a little later (8:30) Uncle Johnny's stops serving fish at 9:00 p.m. – I know a lot of Wisconsinites like to eat early, but I'm not one of them and I was feeling slightly rushed.  

The place has your typical fish fry menu and the bonus for all you cod lovers is they have an All-You-Can-Eat for the deep fried fish lovers.  I was not disappointed at all in the quality of entree I was treated to that evening, the fish was done perfectly.  The beer-batter was light and full of flavor, no tartar necessary folks – an added bonus in my book.  The waitress told me the potato pancakes were homemade and I disagree with her (too perfect in their shape, and tasted very average).  I was also treated to some homemade mashed potatoes and they were amazing.  

Coleslaw was cream-based and a little heavy for my liking and rounding up the sides was a store bought piece of rye bread. 

Uncle Johnny's also has a baked cod option as well as a tasty Cajun baked cod (which I also had a small portion to taste).  The Cajun is a little spicy, but overall I liked the pop of heat with the fish and would definitely order this upon a repeat visit. 

The prices for the dinners were typical (between $9-$11 for entrees) and the drink specials were even more pleasing!  

Overall I'd like to give Uncle Johnny's an 8 out of 10.  Fish was fantastic, but the accompanying notes to the dish were average at best.  But we don't go out to eat for side dishes, now do we? 

I hope you all are enjoying this extremely mild winter and pray this leads into an early spring and we're not shoveling our driveways in May.  

Remember to hug the ones you love! You never know when you won't be able to hug them again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment