Monday, November 30, 2009

Butler Inn

Happy Monday to all of my Fish Fry friends. If any of you are like me, getting into the swing of the work week has been a slow one, after an extra long weekend of gluttony, family and friends it was hard for me to wake up to "reality" this morning after all Thanksgiving madness. With that said, I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Mine was incredible, full of amazing family, great friends and scrumptious food! Which brings us to Friday -- and instead of shopping with the crazies, I decided to bring the fish fry blog back to life after a week-long hiatus.

My Thanksgiving holiday continued with a Friday afternoon trip to downtown Milwaukee to see the matinee showing of "Rent" -- what a fabulous musical, the singing was impeccable, music was moving and the entire production was incredible. Following the show, we decided to head out to Pewaukee to continue this fish fry madness we blog about each week. Destination: Butler Inn and so far (I know, we're only three weeks in) this was the best fry we've had, hands down. I know our goal was to find the "hole in the wall" fish dinner, but we decided to "Supper Club" it, mostly because my mom was with us, it seemed appropriate and we were all dressed up! Below you will see the thoughts from fellow Blogger, Ann Grevenkamp.  

Black Friday was our third attempt at finding the best Fish Fry in Southeastern, WI. After going to see Rent we could not have picked a nicer establishment to conclude our evening. We started out our meal at Butler Inn with a nice bottle of wine shared between Beth, Dave and myself. I decided to venture out of the box and try the Greek Style baked Cod………..I am typically a Beer Battered Cod girl. I ordered the homemade potato pancakes to go with my meal. When the meal arrived my Greek style fish was served with a charitable size of green peas. Since this was new for me I took a breath and dove in and WOW was it incredible. The baking of the fish really gave it a different feel and taste for me. And, I felt that the green peas were a pleasantly appropriate side dish to be served with it. The potato pancakes had incredible flavor. I also had a chance to nibble off of Beth and Dave’s plates and can tell you that breading on the fish they had was to die for!!! I would give Butler Inn’s Friday night fish fry a 9 out of 10!!!!!!

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Ann, this was a phenomenal meal for all of us. I had the special beer battered walleye ($15.95) along with a loaded baked potato and chicken dumpling soup. I have to admit, and this is pretty difficult, that the walleye I had is equal to or better than some of the best fish frys I've ever had. The breading was light and flavorful and the fish itself was fresh and flaky. A big thumbs up to the kitchen on this plate!

My mother decided to go a more healthy route with a broiled salmon (15.95) and she was equally as impressed with her dinner. The Greek-style baked cod (12.95) was very a very unique choice of menu items, nothing that I would expect at your "typical" Wisconsin fish fry, but I was delighted by the change of pace. I tasted a part of Ann's dinner and the fish along with the sauce and side of peas was just an overall superb balance of flavor and variety. An original dish, which you rarely run into at places like this and it was a welcome surprise.

Dave ordered the traditional beer-battered cod (11.95) and from the looks of his plate, he was just as happy with his meal as the rest of us! Nobody went home hungry on Friday, November 27! Mom and I both commented that the Butler Inn would hold up against some of the best supper clubs in Fond du Lac/Calumet counties (yes, even Blanck's). A true down-home atmosphere, great food/flavors and wonderful service. We all know how hard that is to find in one place... I am going to be a bit more generous with my scoring for the Butler Inn than Ann, as I believe that place deserves a 10 out of 10. From beginning to end our dining experience at this very quaint, beautiful restaurant was lovely and enjoyable! Next week we will be trying the Hartland Inn, the bar has been set in my opinion, so let's hope they can meet it!

1 comment:

  1. Great write up. I never thought of this place as a 'goto fish fry'...but I will try it now that I've read this.

    ReplyDelete