Monday, December 7, 2009

Max Meier's Hartland Inn, Hartland, WI

First of all I'd like to take this time to remember Pearl Harbor Day...it happened way before I was born, but just like any other monumental historic event, I believe it is a day like President Roosevelt said "that will live in infamy" and we can never forget it. Too often we take for granted (and sometimes forget) that in order for us to live the happy free life we have, many others had to lose theirs in order to ensure it. Onto fish, I know nice transition, but I'm in a hurry today! I will let you read Ann's entry first as I have a few things to say in rebuttal.  

This week brought me to my witching grounds, hometown Hartland and the Max Meier’s Inn. Max Meier’s has been the home to so many important events from my eighth grade graduation dinner to my Dad’s celebration of life luncheon. The atmosphere is cozy and the people are great ... living up to our promise we ordered the Fish Fry!! Our family style fish fry came with cole slaw, potato salad, and bread. We also ordered potato pancake. The potato pancakes were THICK and very tasty...I will admit, I have had the Max Meier Fish Fry before and thought it was just as tasty as it always is. The slaw was not a creamy slaw, a little different then what we have had in previous weeks, but still tasted GREAT!!! I give Max Meier’s a 9 out of 10, what can I say, I am rooting for the HOME TEAM! 

This week we skipped the workout and headed to the Hartland Inn early, as we (Ann, Dave and myself) were all hungry! The Hartland Inn was quaint, warm and very friendly, the holiday decor was classy and old fashioned (just the way I love it) and you felt like you were at a friend's home while dining there. It was also like an Ann Grevenkamp homecoming as she literally knew about 60% of the clientele (Ok, maybe exaggerating, but you get the point) and I later found out her and her family spent the better part of the 1990s in the Max Meier dining room, which would probably explain her fondness for the restaurant.

We were greeted by the hostess, who kindly took our name and seated us within 15 minutes, it was great. Not too busy, but enough people in the place so you weren't scared to eat the cuisine! We started off this week with some yummy appetizers, bacon wrapped water chestnuts (6.00) and chicken ginger wontons (10.00), followed by our soup course. My shrimp/lobster bisque ($5.00) was unbelievably impressive. It was a different mixing of the ingredients than I was used to, with a frothy nutmeg cappuccino making the broth a little darker brown in color, but that was the only thing that was dark about this soup. Let me give one huge pat on the back to the chef who came up with that recipe, the flavors were robust and clean, it was rich, but still bright enough to not be overpowering. I loved it.

Ann opted for the beer cheese soup, which I tasted and liked, but moved over it very quickly to get back to my own bowl of heaven! All of this great food to start made me very excited for the main course, and I'm afraid I was a little disappointed with what followed.

I ordered the breaded cod (11.95), which was served family style, like Ann had mentioned, with creamy potato salad, oil-based cole slaw and rye bread. We also had french fries and a potato pancake. While the fish was not bad tasting, it did not compare to the meal we had last week at the Butler Inn. The cod was not flaky and the breading wasn't very flavorful. I felt myself adding a fair amount of salt and pepper, which we know is the kiss of death for a meal. I will give props to the very best potato pancake I've had yet so far...but that was the only highlight.

Dave had the Seared Sea Scallop Salad (15.00) which is Seared Sea Scallops on a Bed of Hearts of Romain, Belgium Endive, Spring Mix, Grape Tomatoes & Red Onion, then Drizzled with Mixed Berry Balsamic Dressing and Garnished with Goat Cheese Croutons, he wanted to be sure we included how much he enjoyed his non-traditional Friday meal routine I realize the Hartland Inn has a lot of sentimental history for Ann and her family, but I simply cannot put this restaurant in the same category (fish fry only) as the Butler Inn and I have no alliances in this game. As much as I was rooting for the home team, I think it fell short of delivering a game-winner (sorry for the sports pun).

I would rate this fish fry probably 7 out of a possible 10. I had an enjoyable experience and will probably go back someday, but not for a while, as we're going to be very, very busy in the next few months helping you find the BEST fish fry in Lake Country. Next week we will be visiting Spinnakers in Oconomowoc. Have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment