Monday, January 18, 2010

Nashotah Clubhouse, Nashotah, WI

WARNING: THIS BLOG IS LONG, BUT WELL WORTH IT!

Hello Fish Fry followers, I hope this Monday finds you at the beginning of a wonderful week. I hope you enjoy our special blog today. We had a few guests for this dinner on Friday night and all I can say is it was one of the most enjoyable fish frys so far and it was purely because of the company. The latest blog is a recap of our evening at the Nashotah Clubhouse, N44W32998 Watertown Plank Rd, Nashotah, WI.

My good friends Alyssa Klopatek, Kendra Ferguson, Anne & Josh Bartlett and Mike Zillmer joined Ann, Dave and I for dinner. Alyssa, Anne and Kendra even submitted their thoughts for the blog, which I will be posting. I love it and it keeps my rambling to a minimum. I will conclude the blog, but let you start right away with AK's words of fish fry wisdom.

ALYSSA'S THOUGHTS: I don’t get mad when I can’t find a parking spot at a restaurant. It’s a good sign when the place is packed! Even at 7:30 at night, every table in the small dining room at the Nashotah Clubhouse was filled. Many of the patrons were elderly and looked at our rowdy party of eight through narrowed eyes – we “young people” were likely to disturb their quiet fishy conversations. And we did.

The service was quick and casual – our waitress promptly delivered drinks and coleslaw, cold American potato salad and warm German potato salad. The coleslaw was good – like an upscale, fresher version of KFC’s half vinegar, half creamy concoction. I enjoyed the American potato salad because it wasn’t yellow and mustardy. The German stuff didn’t have enough bacon and was heavy on the vinegar and sugar, and no one at our table liked it.




The drinks kept flowing and our entrees arrived quickly. The waitress told us our potato pancakes were fresh, not frozen, and I believe her. They were well seasoned and hot, but I think they were deep fried rather than pan fried, and had a darker, crispier crust than I think proper potato pancakes should have. My fried perch ($12.95) had a lighter crust than some of the other fish dishes at our table, but it was soggy. The crust detached from the fish and broke into layers on my plate. The bland tartar sauce I squirted out of the plastic bottle shared by our table didn’t do much to improve the perch.

On the upside, I tried a fried frog leg for the first time (thanks, Ann!) and Beth’s piece of fried walleye was delicious and much better than my perch – it was crispy and flavorful, fresh and not heavily “fishy” tasting. I wish I would have ordered the walleye.

After the meal was over and our party’s loud, giggly conversation had thoroughly irritated every grandma and grandpa seated around us, I wasn’t sad to see my half-eaten perch plate be carried off. I’m don’t think I’ll return to the Nashotah Clubhouse for fish fry. Not only is it in the middle of nowhere, but the food is mediocre. I do give props to the waitress for putting up with our many drink demands and rambunctious demeanor, and the surreal mural of Bill Murray as “What About Bob?” in the ladies room almost made me forgive the restaurant’s soggy fish transgressions. But not quite. I give the Nashotah Clubhouse a solid 6 out of 10.




ANNE BARTLETT'S FROGLEG LEAP: Growing up in Wisconsin I have noticed several things about this state that its residents are fanatical about....those things being drinking, Packers Football, shooting things, and of course Friday Fish Fry.  Having never really liked fish.....unless it was raw and on top of rice....I never understood the whole fish fry thing.

So when I saw frog legs on the menu at the Nashotah Clubhouse....I was kind of excited.  Before I "leap" into the main course, I need to add my opinion to the pre-meal snacks.  I have an obsession with potato salad so I was extra giddy to find out I was getting two potato salads and coleslaw.  Usually I would skip the german potato salad, but I took one for the team and gave it a try.  Considering it was German potato salad, which is not one of my favorites, it was actually ok.  The conventional potato salad was very, very tastey. 

Now, on to the main event.  I had my choice of potato pancakes or french fries to accompany my frog legs.  I went with the potato pancakes that were mediocure at best.  The frog legs were coated with a light batter that did not seem to compliment meat as well as it could have.  That fact is truly sad because the frog meat was actually very good once the batter was peeled off.  I truly believe that this meal could have been saved if there was a sauce served on or accompanying the frog legs.  I would give the food portion of my dining experience a solid 6 out of 10 but the overall night a 10+....everything is made better by cocktails and great friends.

P.S.  For those of you who are wondering what frog legs taste like, it is a little like chicken.  This doesn't mean you should substitute frogs for chicken, because the frog meat does have an added gamey flavor and an added chewiness to the meat.



KENDRA'S BLOG: First off, I’d like to thank Beth and Ann for including me in their Friday night fish fry excursion and for considering my opinion important enough to share with the world. That being said, it has been some time since I’ve partaken in the traditional fish fry, so my ability to judge overall quality may be a bit limited. Okay, with that disclaimer out of the way, I’ll give you my opinion!

While unimpressed with the overall setting at the Nashotah Clubhouse, which is very bar-like, I was well aware that many similar establishments serve amazing fish fry dinners. Upon entering you have to navigate through the bar to the no-frills dining area in the back. Once seated, we received immediate, friendly service, which I believe is key to a positive dining experience. Our waitress was professional and attentive to the needs of our large (and somewhat boisterous) group. We were served drinks quickly, and our dinner was served in short order.




I decided to try the bluegill fish fry dinner ($12.95), and was not disappointed. The breading was crisp and flavorful, and the fish was flakey and delicious. I was not as satisfied with the potato pancakes that accompanied the fish, as they were greasy and not as crunchy as I would have liked. Overall, I found my dinner to be decent, the service above average and the ambience a bit lacking, so I give the Nashotah Clubhouse a 7.5 out of 10.

ANN GREVENKAMP'S TAKE:  Friday Night's fish fry was filled with great people!!!! We had 6 guests attend our weekly event at the Clubhouse in Nashotah.  We were seated in a timely manner in the back and were a little concerned that we would be raising a ruckus (I knew the couple behind us; friends with their daughter) and they found us rather amusing!!!!! 

I ordered the baked cod, as I really enjoy cod and figured I would try to go healthy since I pre-partied at my house....and probably consumed enough calories for the entire weekend.  The meal was supposed to be all you can eat so the potato salad and coleslaw came out first.  I did really enjoy both the potato salad and coleslaw although I did not eat the German potato salad.  

When my fish came out I was a little shocked.  It was very YELLOW, like a pinapple.  I took a bite and couldn't eat it.....it just had no flavor, was soggy, and probably had been sitting for hours.  The potato pancakes I ordered along with the meal were very good so thanfully I had them to eat.  

I was able to try both Alyssa and Beth's fish and must say that I liked theirs.....mine just was not good. I can't believe it, but for the first time ever I would give the fish a 3/10 and the good times and great friends a 10/10 ....sorry Clubhouse, but hopefully I will be back and my baked cod can satisfy!!!!

We didn't take any photos of Ann's fish, because frankly, it was unappetizing... 


BETH'S OPINION: I opted for the fried walleye entree ($15.95) and I can say with certainty that I was awarded the best meal of the evening.  The breading was light and crunchy and the fish was cooked to a white flaky perfection.  The seasoning on the batter was a little bland, but it's nothing that a little salt and pepper can't take care of.  I was equally as impressed with my potato pancake.




I'm not going to add a whole lot to this blog, if you need to know how I feel about the rest of the meal, please see Alyssa's post as I agree with her 100% -- I'm very glad I chose the option I did because the rest of the table was not as lucky as I when it came to their dinners.  I am going to rate Nashotah clubhouse a 7 out of 10, because even though my dinner was good, the rest of the table got shorted on flavor.

This fish fry blog is so much fun and what makes it even more rewarding is when friends join in on the experience.  The meal itself was not our top choice, but being with friends and having a few laughs can negate a soggy piece of fish!  I hope you all take the chance to enjoy a great meal with close friends or family in the next few weeks, whether you decide to go out or stay in.   Sitting around a dinner table with endless conversation, surrounded by occasional giggling is priceless and I love every minute of it!

I wish you all an enjoyable week and look forward to the next restaurant in Waukesha County.

3 comments:

  1. That Alyssa chick sounds really smart and sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, your vocabulary is showing. You used the word "negate." Smarty pants!

    ReplyDelete