Sunday, March 14, 2010

Kurt's Steakhouse, Delfield, WI

You know, there is something to be said about having a routine.  Personally I like structure and planning, so when those types of things are not happening in my life, I get a little anxious.  The last couple of weeks I was taken out of my routine and wasn't able to "plan" as I usually do, which left me a little uneasy, but thankfully I made it through the bumps in the road and am back for yet another fish fry blog!

I never thought that I'd be happy to be in a "routine" but it's where I'm happiest.  At work, at the gym, at yoga and of course at the latest and greatest restaurant in Lake Country trying to find the very best fish fry!

I will keep you posted about next week's outing, because depending on selection Sunday and when my beloved Wisconsin Badgers take the court for March Madness will dictate what my Friday night dining plans will be.  Who knows, I may just take out Culver's and watch the game somewhere.

I will make sure it becomes a very important part of my routine!

This week Ann was again out of town, so my friend Kendra Ferguson and I decided to go to Kurt's Steakhouse 22 West Main Street, Delafield, Wis.  I have heard a lot of great things about this restaurant, mostly about their famous steaks, but this was a Friday, it's Lent I'm Catholic and we need a blog!

I am going to copy Kendra's sentiments about this week's outing and I will chime in.


KF: I can’t believe it has been more than a month since I’d been able to join in on Beth and Ann’s weekly fish fry outings. That’s completely unacceptable! Needless to say, I was excited to be able to join Beth (Ann was missed!) at Kurt’s Steakhouse in Delafield for dinner. I’ve been to Kurt’s Steakhouse many times, but always for steak, never for fish. The restaurant has a very traditional steakhouse look and feel, with lots of regular patrons who obviously spend enough evenings there to be on a first name basis with the bartenders and wait staff. I arrived a few minutes before Beth, so made my way over to the bar, which was filled with people waiting for a table. The bartenders were very friendly and efficient, which is a great combination in a packed bar. When Beth arrived she put our name in for a table (which I forgot to do because I was very thirst and the bar was calling my name), and was notified that the wait time would be approximately 30 minutes, which is pretty standard at this establishment. Beth and I nibbled on amazing potato chips at the bar while we waited. Okay, I think we actually ate most of the bowl of potato chips because they were so good and we were hungry!

After about 25-30 minutes our table was ready, and we were seated for dinner. My only minor complaint about Kurt’s would be the size of the table we were given – XS (extra small)! I think Beth and I were both surprised by the lack of table space, but it really turned out to be a non-issue. Our waitress took our drink order immediately, and then walked us through the many specials available on Friday evening. We quickly received bread and coleslaw, which I found to be well above average, and then ordered our dinner. I have to admit that I really wanted to order the petite filet, which is always amazing, but knew I had to fulfill my duty and ordered the baked cod ($14.95). It turns out I’m really glad I did! The fish, which was served in very short order, was baked to perfection, crispy on the outside and light and flaky on the inside, and the seasoning tasted amazing! I used almost zero tartar sauce, which for me is an indication that I’m really enjoying my dinner. In addition to the fish, I selected the parmesan au gratin potatoes as a side, and they were creamy and delicious. Overall, Friday night at Kurt’s Steakhouse had everything I was looking for in a fabulous fish fry experience – amazing conversation, great service, and outstanding food, so I give Kurt’s a 9.5 out of 10! 
Like Kendra stated, the waitress was prompt in giving us our service, took our drink order and allowed us time to peruse the menu and ponder the specials she rattled off.   I decided to go for the Italian breaded deep fried cod ($.9.95) which is their traditional "Fish Fry" for each and ever Friday night.   The bread which came to the table shortly after our orders was warm, sourdough rolls and as much as my trainer might cringe when she reads this I have to say, the butter melted on the bread and then proceeded to melt in my mouth.  It was amazing. I don't think there is a more comforting feeling than warm bread/melting butter and the same feeling on your palette.

Next she brought us a creamy coleslaw which was a little too much in my opinion.  Too much cream, mayo, and a bit heavy, however, shortly after the slaw disappointment I was greeted by an entree I will not forget for a while.  What a highlight of the evening!  

My fried cod was perfect.  There is no other way to describe how good this dish was. Two weeks ago I know I ranted and raved about our dinners at "On the Rocks" -- but this fish was one step above in overall presentation, flavor and, of course, perfection.  The breading on the fish was a light italian bread crumb with simple spices and had a nice subtle crunch to it.  Once you were past the breading (which wasn't overwhelming) you got to a white, flaky,  flawless piece of cod.  This was true comfort food on a Friday night.   The feeling I got while eating the bread was exactly the same as eating this fish fry.  Once I got past the crunch of the breading, the fish literally melted in my mouth like a warm piece of butter.  No extra seasoning necessary, and of course, no tartar!  

The potato pancake was very average, but I really didn't care after digging my fork into the fish.  But for that reason, I will have to stay true to my ratings and give Kurt's Steakhouse a 9 out of 10.  That last point could be reached with a little extra effort on cole slaw and the potato pancake.   Our service was fantastic and I will definitely be back at Kurt's for a dinner soon.  

I guess I got a little reward for getting back into my routine and I couldn't be happier.

In the meantime I'd like to wish all my friends (even the non-Irish) a Happy St. Patrick's Day.  Even though I have NO Irish background in my family, I like to say I'm preparing for Oktoberfest.

Have a wonderful week, Go Badgers and as always, give someone you love a hug this week...and let them know how much they mean to you, life is too short not to!

5 comments:

  1. Did you know that the rolls they bring to the table are deep fried like a donut? We are big fans of those darn things.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is probably why the outside was as crunchy/and the inside as soft as it was. Loved the grease overload! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth....I would preface this by saying that I have never had a bad meal from a kitchen run by Kurt Amidzich whether at Sally's or the Steakhouse. The last time I was at Kurt's was with someone who knew one of Kurt's chefs(may have been his son-Kurt Jr) and both he & Kurt were nice enough to visit our table for some conversation and brain picking on my part. (You are aware that the last 50 books I've read are cook books aren't you?)At any rate, we ate Oysters Rock that (as you put it) melted on our mouths and I had a Veal Marsala to die for! It is one of the 3 most memorable meals of my lifetime from a culinary aspect. Nice to know Kurt Jr is succeeding in following the incredible footsteps of his namesake. The first time I was in the place was b4 the father/son renovation. It was a local pub that featured an occasional slap to the forehead from one patron to another with a beer bottle. What a first impression!!
    Cabby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, as someone who does not frequent Friday Fish Frys, I live vicariously through you and this blog. I LOVE IT!

    I am going to make a mental note of Kurt's Steakhouse and put it on the Friday Date Night list. It's gotta be worth the little extra travel time...tartar sauce and all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, when can we go to dinner? We should do a fish fry together!!!

    ReplyDelete