Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rookies Sports Bar and Pub, Okauchee, WI

Happy Wednesday everyone!

I'm sorry the blog is a little late, but Ann and I had a very eventful weekend and didn't get to the details of our fish fry experience.  We had thrown a surprise 40th birthday party for her brother Tom on Saturday and spent Sunday recovering.  It a lot of hard work and effort to keep the surprise, but it was all worth it to see the look on his face when he walked into the door.  Happy Birthday Loppy, and many, many more to you!  I think I might have celebrated a bit too much, but oh well...there's always room for that right?

This Friday, Ann and I ventured to a fish fry luncheon, as we both had the "day off" of work and wanted to check out Rookies as it was the venue for the surprise party.  We looked at their menu and decided we could kill "two birds" by checking out how we were going to set everything up and relax to an afternoon fish dinner.  All while watching the Badgers play Wofford in the crazy 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. 

Rookies is every bit a "bar" -- so if you're looking for a fine dining experience in the evening, I suggest you travel elsewhere.  However, if you're in the mood to sit at the bar, I highly suggest you go to Okauchee and check this menu out. 

I dined on the "traditional" menu item of deep fried Haddock, with potato pancakes, garnished with a side of cole slaw and rye bread ($6.95, YES, $6.95 and it was all-you-can-eat).  Not only did we get an upgrade of fish in the haddock, but for all of you people that love "extras" -- you could eat until your belly was unreasonably full!  I have never heard of such a price for a fish fry, but then again, you're not getting any ambiance, but I didn't care.

The haddock was exquisite (yes, I used that word to describe bar food) -- it could not have been cooked any better and the light beer batter was the perfect compliment to the fish.  The flavoring in the batter was delightful and just the right amount of crunch before diving into the flaky, moist haddock.  I ordered the potato pancakes, which were superb.  I could not have been more surprised at how good this food was, because you wouldn't expect it by walking in the door. That's the great thing about Wisconsin, even your local tavern can have the best comfort food around. 

Our meal was complimented by a wonderful cup of homemade clam chowder that was thick, rich and full of potatoes and hearty pieces of clam.  I loved the soup and could have made a meal out of it. 

The service was "ok" -- but the bar was basically empty, however, nothing is more annoying than watching the help talk on the cell phone or text.  I realize she wasn't too busy, but there are always things that can be done.  I will have to say, though, that as much as she wasn't around, she seemed to show up when the beer glass was empty, so I guess there's something to be said for that.

All in all, the fish fry at Rookie's was great and I would suggest you taking a trip out there for a little food before you hit their dance floor (and they even have a stripper pole...). 

I will give Rookie's an 8 out of 10.  If it was based on just the fish itself, I would be inclined to give out the perfect score.  It was an amazing meal.

So, if you're in the lake country area, I highly suggest visiting Rookies, especially if you are in the area for lunch.

In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your week...I'm heading to spend time with my sister and her children, which is always entertaining.  I'm looking forward to the little bit of time away and have quality "sister" time. 

I will try to squeeze in a fish fry too, as I know how much you all enjoy the blog.

Don't forget to put a huge smile on your face and hug someone you love!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I have not been to Rookies since I lived in Nashotah. I will definately go back now
    Cabby

    ReplyDelete