Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Diamond Jim's Stoneridge Inn

Good afternoon Fish Fry enthusiasts, and thanks for taking the time to read the blog. I decided to go a little outside the "comfort zone" this week and try a restaurant east of 124th Street, a recommended little place in Hales Corners called Diamond Jim's Stoneridge Inn, 11811 W Janesville Rd.

After a much needed seasonal facial, we walked in the door close to 7:30pm, again, the perfect time as far as I'm concerned.  I will give you Alyssa's take on the experience and I will follow-up and conclude. 

Alyssa: I’ve had Diamond Jim’s fish fry before and because I thought it was quite possibly the best I’d  ever had, I suggested the restaurant to Beth. The food was even better this time than it was a few weeks ago.  We arrived late (7:30 is late for the Hales Corners crowd) and we had to wait about 15 minutes for a table. This represents, to me, the perfect balance between tumbleweeds blowing through the dining room and “I’m not waiting that long for a fish fry let’s leave.” It’s popular but not off-putting. The almost-elderly hostesses and waitresses were busy and tired and not afraid to show it. While the service was civil, it wasn’t exactly friendly. However, the food more than made up for the personalities. My three huge pieces of fresh beer-battered cod arrived light and crispy, and the homemade potato pancakes with chunky applesauce were well-seasoned and hearty. Coupled with the cup of clam chowder I added as an appetizer, the flavorful tartar sauce and the creamy coleslaw, I couldn’t even finish all my food – and I’m usually a proud member of the Clean Plate Club. I give it a 9/10, one-point demotion for the staff treating us like impositions rather than guests.

I will exact Alyssa's sentiments on the service, it was a borderline rude.  I got the distinct impression the restaurant was incredibly busy prior to our arrival, but being tired and running your ass off on a Friday night should be nothing strange to a waitress in Wisconsin, unless you’re 16 and clearly she was not. 

We started the meal off with a cup of homemade clam chowder, and it was fabulous.  It was chunky, flavorful and very filling.  Shortly after the waitress cleared away our soup cups, our entrees were in front of us.  (side note: even though the waitress herself wasn’t so happy, the  overall quickness of getting our food was top-notch).  I went with the broiled cod ($12.95) and Alyssa had the fried cod ($10.95).  I pulled off a "trade" with Alyssa, one piece of fried cod from her plate for an equally sized square of broiled off mine, a very fair and equal maneuver. 

I recommend both entrees. The beer-batter was crispy and not over-cooked, seasoned well and fried to perfection, and inside the fish was moist, flaky and delicious.  I thoroughly enjoyed that piece of cod.  My broiled fish was no different.  The light paprika seasoned filet was cooked well, but a little overdone, however, it was a little later and some places tend to “pre-broil” their fish in order to get it out timely.  This wasn’t that bad and the flavors were in tact, but it did need a partner in drawn butter to make that happen.  I usually like to critique on whether or not the fish NEEDS extra condiments or if it can stand on it’s own. 

Additionally, the coleslaw was amazing, probably the best I've had thus far.  It’s heavier cream base is normally something I don’t enjoy, but this time it was divine, incredibly balanced with just the right crunchiness from the cabbage/carrots and the creaminess of the mayo/cream combo.  As an afterthought, there was a small piece of store-bought, buttered rye bread and average potato pancakes.

While Alyssa is a bit more generous in her rating, I’ll give Diamond Jim’s a solid 7 out of 10. 

As always, I hope you all enjoyed this blog and you have an even better week.  I’m hoping to hit up Silver Spring Country Club this Friday, as they were nice enough to send a free Fish Fry coupon in the mail.  






Don't forget to check out the blog's facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Lake-Country-Wisconsin-Fish-Frys/153633424672319 

Also, please check out LakeCountryNightOut.com for more fun things to do in Waukesha County!

And most importantly, I know it might get a little sickening, but seriously, give someone a hug!  

No comments:

Post a Comment