Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Silver Spring Golf Club La Par Restaurant

Happy Wednesday everyone, again, thanks for taking the time to read about the weekly fish fry in Lake Country Wisconsin.  The facebook page is growing, the list of readers is growing and I'm happy to give you the best analysis I can and I'm having way too much fun in the process. 

This Friday Ann and I ventured out to the La Par Restaurant at Silver Spring Golf Club, N56 W21318 Silver Spring Drive, Menomonee Falls. I had a a free coupon I received in the mail for a Fish Fry and I jumped all over it.  When we arrived around 6:30pm, the bar was very empty, but dining room was full, we were seated within 10 minutes and our server promptly set us up with the information regarding their fish fry special.  The options are (and all are priced at $10.95 and the deep fried cod is all-you-can-eat) deep fried cod, baked cod with a panko-like bread topping and deep fried tilapia.  There are other specials and a huge selection of menu items, but we dove right into the fish options.  Also, on a side note, you can add soup and salad bar for $2.95 OR soup/salad AND dessert bar for $4.95.  Ann had the tilapia, I ordered baked cod and we both opted for the soup/salad bar.

First things first.  The salad bar was average, you had your choice of romaine lettuce or spinach, normal toppings and some croutons.  Everything was fresh and tasted good, but aside from some potato salad and ceviche (yes, ceviche on a fish fry salad bar) everything was normal.  The soup was a homemade clam chowder which was to DIE for.  It was bursting with flavor, huge pieces of clam, carrots and celery and a hint of bacon (yes, bacon).  I did everything I could from literally licking every last drop of soup out of that cup.  Well done, chef, well done.

The server brought coleslaw (creamy) and hot sourdough rolls to the table, all of which were very very good.  It was more than enough pre-dinner snacking, and I think the next time I'll just have the rolls and slaw. Oh yeah, and the soup!

As we finished our salads and raved over the soup, it wasn't very long before our extremely pleasant server arrived with our entrees.  My baked cod was well-cooked, flaky and very full of flavor -- the breadcrumbs on the top were a nice addition.  Usually the meal is served with a lemon butter cream over the top, I opted to have that on the side (I'm glad I asked for it that way, and suggest you do the same when ordering).  The sauce didn't match well with the way the fish was prepared -- so if there is any complaint, it's that the cream sauce is not necessary to make this a successful dish.  I do, however, suggest you get drawn butter, as that IS a nice compliment!

I had the potato pancakes, which were homemade and absolutely wonderful. 

Ann's tilapia (while not fresh) was good as well.  The breading was a little heavy, but the components overall were good and she enjoyed her dinner.  I also had a quick taste of the deep fried cod, it was a little heavy on the breading as well, but it wasn't overly powerful and the fish inside was soft and mouth-watering.

Overall, I'll give this establishment an 8 out of 10.  It wasn't the very best fish fry, but I would most definitely go there again for a meal.  The service was top-notch, the wine was excellent and most importantly I left with a full belly.

I'm not sure if anyone could leave the La Par restaurant NOT full.  I had not a single space left for dessert, but who knows, maybe next time.

Happy Halloween everyone!  This week I will be taking a break from the fish fry, as I have a Friday night gig at the Badger Bowl in Madison.  If you don't have any ghostly plans, Pink Houses takes the stage at 9:45pm.

And, as always -- give a hug.  People need it!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I read this after having one of the most incredible meals of my lifetime and I want to have a fishfry. Thanks Bethie!

    ReplyDelete