Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Culvers, Hartland, WI

So, did I sink to a new low? 

Some think I did, that I completely gave into the whole societal thought that "I don't have enough time, drive thru is my only option."  I played each and every scenario in my head, how I could get to a Lake Country Restaurant I haven't visited before, grab a quick to-go order, have it still be relatively fresh when I got home and do a decent review.   There was nothing close enough, nothing I hadn't reviewed, I had no choice.  I gave in, I went to Culvers, 701 Industrial Court, Hartland, WI.  Much to my surprise, the fish fry at Culver's is better than some of the restaurants I've dined at while writing this blog.  Sorry to those who think I sold out, but honestly, I'm glad I did. 

I had never had a fish fry from Culver's before and there were a lot of people saying I would enjoy the meal. I shrugged it off. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE Culver's, however, it's not the place I'm going to head when wanting to experience "fine dining" -- it is, after all, fast food. 

The line for the drive-thru was longer than normal at 8pm on a Friday night.  I waited probably 5 minutes to get my turn at the order screen.  I decided on the 2pc Beer Battered Cod for $8.99, there was also a 3pc option, for $10.99.  If you don't specify, you get french fries and cole slaw,  I chose to get the mashed potatoes instead of the fries, but did indulge in the slaw. 

This is going to be a quick review, as there is nothing to review aside from the food itself, I had no ambiance (my car was a little dirty), I had no waitress (although the car-side service was quick), and I had no cocktails (good thing, I was driving). 

Fish was a little heavy in breading, with that said though, it was cooked perfectly.  I took a little of the breading off, and the flavor of the fish was very good, it totally fit into my "say no to tartar" campaign. But for all of you who enjoy tartar, their "Culvers" brand tartar was all right.  My cole slaw was creamy and a little heavy on the mayo, but again, I enjoyed it.  There was also a store-bought bakery roll, which was irrelevant. 

All in all I am going to give this meal a  7.5 out of 10 stars.  It was a to-go fish fry, that traveled well and also tasted phenomenal.  Culver's has figured it out, fast-food that isn't the disgusting processed stuff we're used to. The ingredients are good, they're REAL and the most important thing (to me) is they are aware of food allergies and are sensitive to that, the franchise is often involved in the communities they're located in and their philosophy is truly one I can buy into and so is the fish!

Hope you all enjoyed my lame-ass blog this week.  I'm going to try to get to a nice place this week, time will tell what we end up deciding upon.

In the meantime, pray for all the people who continue to suffer in Japan.  I cannot imagine what the folks in that country are going through. As always, be sure to give out the hugs in abundance!

No comments:

Post a Comment