Friday, April 8, 2011

Hideaway Pub, Franklin, WI

This is not exactly about a Lake Country place, but Beth was nice enough to let me vent here as a guest blogger. Besides, she didn't want an empty space this week.

Last Friday, the Cabby family went to the Hideaway Pub on 76th Street in Franklin.  We were told phrases like: "this is the place," or "fabulous food," naturally, we decided to try it.

I made reservations for a group of 15 people, ten days ahead and called three days before to confirm the reservation.  Upon arrival, there were cars parked along the highway due to the overflowing parking lot.  Apparently, there were a great deal of walk-in diners.

The hostess kept the walk-in biz walking in, while our group (which included my 82 year-old dad and his wife) stood in the doorway hall cramped in with the party of eight that also had 6:30 reservations. A hostess cam out about 6:40 only to "x" out the grouper specials on a dry erase board.

We finally sat down at 7:30 and waited 10 minutes to order drinks (the stressed waitress forgot my dad's) and after orering, 2 people found out the baked fish they ordered was not available (sorry dad).

FIFTY minutes (yes, 50) after we sat down, we got food.  The beer battered cod coating was firmly around the nice sized pieces, but it had no seasoning nor did the cod (note from Beth: again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the tartar factor...).  Excellently flaky BLAND fish.  Two good sized potato pancakes tasted a bit like potato, but had so much flour in them, they stuck to each other like calories to my backside.  The offerings of syrup or applesauce couldn't even make them edible.  And, on a side note: the clam chowder was pasty.

I completely understand an unexpected rush of people, but not taking care of reservations (when you TAKE reservations) in a timely manner was totally unacceptable. A gesture of a discount or even a cocktail would have been nice, but the apology for the delay was half-assed at best...


So, my guess is Cabby won't be going back there anytime soon.  I would like to thank him for his input and helping me out while I deal with my crazy schedule.  Enjoy your weekend everyone.  And I promise, I'll be back next week.  I may even get a chance to do a review this weekend, but I can't guarantee it. Have a great weekend everyone, and please -- keep up with the hugs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment